Thursday, February 21, 2013

Balancing Motherhood and a Paycheck

It seems that as I look around at
ALL
the wonderful mom's in the world...
that they are able to balance
all the many tasks that a mom does everyday and every week...
effortlessly.

So why then do I find it so hard...
and sometimes so unrewarding?

 Last Saturday,
while trying to teach my children the value of
chores and work...
and my children wanting to spend time on their
weekend...
watching TV, playing Video games or  play dates with friends
that I got crabby!
I mean really crabby!

I stopped being able to see anything good in my kids...
and just wanted a day 
OFF
from motherhood!

Is that even possible...a day off from motherhood?
Even when my sweet husband got home from work,
instead of a sweet kiss
or a kind word or hug...
he got ugliness from me.
I probably went on and on for over and hour about how angry I was at the kids!

I felt that something had snapped inside of me and even though I knew I was being irrational...
I just couldn't stop myself from being angry.

Lucky for me...
I have an amazing husband who listened to every word I said...
and didn't say anything in return!
I know I made him sad...
and I know he wondered why he even came home from work,
but he just got busy helping me instead!

Sometimes I've said that as a MOM...
we have to look for
Paychecks
from our kids.
Not the money kind...
but the small things our kids do to help us
know that they appreciate us.
Sometimes the paychecks are bigger than others...
but they are paychecks as long as we are willing to look at the good things our children do each day!

My son Christopher asked me the other day to look at a private Facebook message
as he was running out the door to hang out with friends.
When I asked him, why?  
He said,
"Because I want you in my life mom!"
 That's a Paycheck!       

When Rachel gets home from ALL her many activities and can't wait to tell you all about it...
every detail and even wants me to read her texts from the boys'...
and makes perfect grades in school...

 That's a Paycheck!

When Katie enjoys spending more time with you than her friends and wants to cook dinner with you and asks me what I need help with that day...
 That's a Paycheck!


When Jacob asks me to play catch with him or go on a bike ride or asks me to tuck him into bed every night and tells me everyday that he loves me...
That's a Paycheck!        
 
So how do I balance being a mom?
I look for these paychecks my kiddos give me!
I apologize for being crabby.
And I start fresh with a new outlook that tomorrow is going to be a new day! 

And then I go apologize to my hubby!
:) 

4 comments :

Unknown said...

Very good post. Enjoyed reading it!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ron Flewellen said...

I appreciate all the things you do! I love ya E+1.

Merrilee said...

I got a little teary-eyed reading this one. :) And I can totally relate!